About Me

My photo
I am a photographer located in the greater Salt Lake area. I have been capturing the world around me for 8 years. I get a rush out of preserving beautiful moments for people. I specialize in wedding and portrait photography but can photograph whatever you need! If you would like pricing information send me an email at jnf0428@westminstercollege.edu

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Copyright Infringement

Lately I've noticed an influx of copyright infringement among customers of local photographers. Often, I will view photos directly from the photographers website or facebook but when I view the photos from the client's site, the photos are different. The photos are often cropped differently, the color is changed, or the contrast is manipulated.

I want to take this opportunity to express my concern for this occurance. Not only is the manipulation of professional/copyrighted material illegal and those who infringe copyright can be sewed for damages, it is also disrespectful to the photographer.

Please, as a client or customer of photographers, keep in mind that you are the one who hired the photographer and his/her artwork. If you are not happy with his/her work, then don't hire them. If you are not quite happy with the photos and editing, many photographers will be willing to work with you to create a product both of you are happy with.

Speaking for myself, I offer an amazing package price for photos and I hope that my clients respect me enough not to manipulate the photos I give them. I fear the day that I will have to limit and charge an arm and a leg for photos and no longer release high resolution digital copies.

Below is a link to a guide about copyright infringement. I urge to look over it and educate yourself about copyright law.

http://www.photolaw.net/faq.html

Here is a version of my own print release form. Please take the time to read and understand the scope of your photographer's copyright or print release agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment